Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Step 22. Enjoy the job perks.

What are the perks of being a sexual health educator? Well, for starters, there's the abundance of slightly used bananas.


Which tends towards a windfall of banana splits.


Now the real challenge- getting all that lube off the counter...


A kid passed out in my class last week! He went full on unconscious. It was after the slide show, so we weren't looking at anything gross. And I use illustrations rather than photos to provide a degree of separations for the students (and myself). He said afterwards that everything just came at him at once. It was pretty wild, especially considering he was 17. Fortunately the teacher was a level first-aider and the schools medic, so she dealt with things like a pro.

When I got up here and found that my job position had morphed between the time I accepted it to the time that I started, I wasn't stoked. I still have some mixed feelings about teaching kids how to put on condoms. The church here really supports it, though. The thought is that it is better for a practicing Christian to teach sexual health than someone who is making choices that are not sexually healthy according to out own curriculum. Who ever thought this would be my job? Crazy. I have taught in the classes of kids I know from youth group. It can be weird.

Thoughts? How much are we enabling by teaching kids how to put on condoms?

3 comments:

  1. hey Kate!
    still love reading your blog.
    i don't think you are enabling at all- teenagers know about sex, and will have to come to their own personal decisions about it.
    you are giving them the tools to be safe and smart whatever their decision.

    you rock.

    caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kate,

    I think it is important for kids to know in case stuff goes down. My thought is that kids aren't all of a sudden going to be like "well I wasn't going to have sex at all because of my beliefs, but hey now I know how to put a condom on, so I am going to go at it". There are those that will have sex with or without the sexual health component and if we can help the kids protect themselves just a bit, then it is all good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way cooler than the sex-ed teachers who came to my school. They were very "Sunday Night Sex Show"-esque...and they didn't bring bananas. And they had this awful video that was at least 20 years old.

    ReplyDelete