Thursday, October 7, 2010

Step 5- Get Some Wheels!

When I first got into town I had no vehicle. If it would have been possible to live here and do my job without a car, I would have found a way. I bicycle commuted in Abbotsford- in snow! The highway that connects the burbs to the town is too dangerous for a bike. The traffic is so thick and people get very aggressive. It was okay, though, because Liz works a block away from me. I just carpooled with her. On days when I needed a vehicle to drive into town on my own, the Cheethams lent me their minivan.

Now here is the challenge with this post. I believe in two somewhat opposing guidelines: don't look a gift horse in the mouth, and never let the facts get in the way of a good story. You see, the Cheethams lent me the vehicle and asked for nothing back. All I had to do was pay for my own gas. And even then, Gary took the van out and filled the tank for me when I was low. I don't want to complain. On the other hand, if the Cheethams had wanted to get rid of me, they couldn't have found a better way.

The electrical in the van was loose, so that the power shut off from time to town. The entire car would just shut down. This could happen at any time- at stop signs, or even on the highway. I would then throw it into park, shut it off, and start it again. On the highway the engine would just turn itself over and start up again, no problem, except you would loose power steering and brakes for a few seconds. It sure kept driving exciting!

Now, though, I have my own car! I have a 2005 Chevy Blazer. Here she is:

My Grampa game me his truck over the summer and I have just assumed custody. I spent Monday and Tuesday driving this beautiful beast over the Rockies and back up here.

Here are the top 5 reasons that my truck is so great:

  1. It holds a great deal of stuff. When I fold the rear seats forward, there is enough space for me to lie down! Yeah, diagonally, but still, this is not your sisters hatchback.

  1. It is a 4X4! My Grampa and I spent some really good hunting trips in this truck. He made a point of teaching me how to drive in the snow, on ice, and how to use the 4X4 to get over logs and lumps on decommissioned roads. That is important, considering the state of the roads around here.


  1. The truck has some pretty sweet features. For example, the music automatically turns up or down depending on how hard (i.e. loud) the engine is running. Another sweet feature is that it is a very similar colour to the dirt that is in the air here. That means less washing!

  1. It smells faintly of gun slick and black powder. Two of my favorite smells.

  1. It is a gift from my Grampa! We spent a lot of time in this truck. It is familiar. It has been a large part of our time together. He wanted me to be able to go and do the things we did together, like hunting and fishing and shooting. This is the picture of me and truck that Grampa took on one of our hunting trips.


I know it is weird, but I pet my truck yesterday. It just feels so close to my heart. It is my new baby.


Work this week: I taught another high school class today, and it went really really well! I had a great time. I just love what I am doing.

On the office end of the work, a client was killed over the weekend. She was sleeping in a dumpster and the truck came. She was crushed to death. City officials spent the last few days searching the dump for her body, and found it yesterday. I am somewhat removed and so it has become my job to set up the memorial. Because of the nature of the death, we will not be able to observe the traditional First Nations three days for the spirit to leave the body. It's a really downer story, but that is what is going on here. Regardless, I still love me job.

7 comments:

  1. Allow me to be the first to say "Keep on truckin'"! At least among people commenting on this blog. I think it's pretty great that you have a vehicle that means something to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have good transportation Kate, we worry less then. Sad story in your blog today. Sometimes life is hard for people. I am happy yours life is rich and full.
    love you
    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I'll have you know that we fit a crib and mattress into the back of the hatchback yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost got tears in my eyes, reading about you loving your truck so much.
    What an aweful thing to happen to your client. I hope the memorial went well.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So many good things about it... and worry not, I pet my vehicle also; he has been my friend through many dangers. :) Also glad to hear you're loving the job, despite (or because of) its ups and downs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blazer? Classic.

    I really gotta go get my firearms license one of these days. Guns guns guns...

    ReplyDelete
  7. re: "not your sister's hatchback"...You can lay down straight (i.e. NOT diagonally) in Tim's sister's hatchback. :)

    ReplyDelete