Sunday, November 28, 2010

Step 11- Participate in local rituals.

I am having a great time up here. I have a job that is diverse and rewarding. I live with great people. I get to learn all sorts of new stuff about living somewhere so cold. And to make sure I am doing all I can to fit in, I am taking part in local rituals.

As part of the Northerners way of life, the locals look for opportunities to sit outside in well below freezing weather. I hypothesize that this is to ensure they truly appreciate the somewhat warmer temperatures inside. Thousands of people will gather to sit on metal benches, wrapped in parkas and blankets, to participate in drinking Tim Horton's boxed coffee and watching a rubber puck being shot over ice. And when a McMurray native asked if I would care to participate in this ritual, I, of course, said yes. Who passes up an opportunity to sit in subzero temperature for 3 hours?!? And hey, the ticket was free...

This is at the Junior AA Mens Hockey tournament (or some other combination of words). There were almost 6000 people there! It is the first time this tournament has ever been held outside- a fact that EVERY announcer had to yell through the microphone. “We are making history!!!” The game night was a balmy -12. Tiffany and I arrived an hour early to get good seats, put our cushions down, and get riled up for the McMurray Oil Barons. The snowed stopped just long enough to watch the game. So here it is.

Getting settled:












Pre-game Zamboni:


Waiting for the game to start with a giant foamy finger, a digital camera, and Tiffany, who came up with a ticket for me:






The stage with live entertainment! That's how you know it's a REAL sporting event:






The game. I started out cheering for the other team, the Drayton Valley Thunder, till people started actually turning around and sneering at me. When the Thunder got a goal, half the crowd would boo:




My dog sledding outfit. Some people were wearing jeans and windbreakers! I was nice and warm with my blanket and down filled layers. I believe it is best to be prepared to compete in the Ididarod at all times. During the game, a cycle of "the wave" went around no less than 10 times. I think people were doing it to get moving and warm up. During intermissions, everyone stands up and walks on the spot to get the blood back into the toes:



Tiffany getting cold (bet you wish you did the wave now...):




The bus ride back tot he parking lots:




My first outdoor hockey game. Awesome.

1 comment:

  1. That's the Mennonite in you! Not passing up a free ticket, even though you may not be interested in the sport, or the watching conditions may not be ideal. So proud of you!
    :D

    ReplyDelete